Thursday, October 1, 2009

inconsolable memories.

I’ve found reading Inconsolable Memories by Edmundo Desnoes to be both a frustrating and interesting process. My frustration does not stem from the style of writing or the story itself, more from the narrator as a character. Through his false hatred of others and self-contradiction, it is clear that he is trying to find himself in some way or another (perhaps forget the person he believes himself to have become). However, for most of his writing (more so in the first half of the piece), he is nearly absent from the page. Obviously it is him who is writing, so as a reader I understand how his mind works. But as far as what made him who he was or what he was like outside of writing, I found myself grasping for things I could pin down as facts.

More of a linear narrative comes to the story when the narrator begins tracing the time from school forward, and I really appreciated that. I also found myself liking that this had come later in the story. This brings me to what I found interesting about the story. In going with the theme of our class (adaptation), I often thought about how this piece would translate to film.

I suppose it is obvious that the narrator would be seen by viewers from the very beginning. While this would take away the frustration I felt while reading, something essential to the story might also be lost. In addition, much of the piece is about the act of writing, of keeping a diary, retracing memories, going where the mind leads you, etc. Filmic flashbacks might not capture this in the way Desnoes’s writing has.

3 comments:

  1. Of course, we will see the movie next week. And, I may add, it's generally considered to have been an extremely successful film. In fact, the novel's after life has been guaranteed by the fact that the film has become a widely seen and admired classic.
    Regarding the frustrating character of the narrator/protagonist. I wonder if his contradictions are not meant to represent those of his class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing the film. While I'm still undecided on the protagonist, our conversation in class on Friday gave me a bit more perspective on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up a great point, Sara:
    That first-person written narratives lend themselves to an inside-the-head viewpoint that is difficult if not impossible to show on film. Film perspective is rarely first-person (and would be disconcerting and 'experimental'-feeling if it were). Naturally, translating a first-person narrative into the film medium must change many aspects of the story - particularly point of view.

    That being said, a film based on a first-person narrative can easily be successful. I would argue that it is more likely to be successful if the creators of the film use the strengths of their medium to tell the story rather than feeling tied down to the original form. I am also looking forward to seeing the film.

    ReplyDelete